The Day We Were...ELECTED!

I've never felt the way I did on Thursday morning. I woke up and got ready, put my official dress on and zipped up my jacket with pride, knowing this may be one of the lasts times it is worn. I got to the convention center and sat with the rest of the delegates as we sat through the delegate reports. The next few hours were mostly a big blur. I remember some of the awards that were announced and seeing Daniel Alvey do a little dance. However I distinctly remember the retiring words of President Justin McEntrye. I was sitting back stage, the nerves had desperately hit and watching him, eased everything. His words were inspiring, heartfelt, and fun. His RA ended and I remember walking behind stage and over to where the State officer delegates would sit to hear who the next six officers would be. I didnt even know it was next on the list, it hit me fast, like a bullet. Everyone started standing up and I followed, knees  shaking, butterflies the size of boulders in my stomach. I was standing up beside Cary Jean as the Pirates of the Carribean theme song started playing. The knots in my stomach were bigger then any boulder I had ever faced. I thought I was going to pass out, or have a heart attack. The anxiety was intense. Katie was called first, we cheered with excitement, I got anxious praying my name would be called. Beverly was next, my stomach dropped. Alyssa Ramsey from Madison, I was about to throw up. Hannah Russell, it was obvious this was going to be a very girl dominate team, but would I be one of those? I knew the next name was either going to be mine, or it wasnt, I was desperately praying it was mine. Katie Stamey started out, "The vice president at the vice president station...from the Rosewood FFA Chapter!" I don't even remember hearing my name. All I remember is Daviel Alvey grabbing me and we ran up the stairs. I almost slipped as I embraced what would go on to be some of my best friends and amazing teammates. We awaited for our President to be called, we all looked upon the other candidates in wonder, and "lastly from the Knightdale FFA chapter.. John Stewart!" We embraced him and we all hugged, crying, laughing, gasping, so excited, shocked, and honored. I was so overwhelmed it was hard to breathe. That moment we had dreamed about for so long, had finally came, this was it. Standing on that stage was the most amazing feeling any of us have ever felt. It was everything we had ever wanted.
 
 
 
We watched the rest of the officers finish and retire, and we were still in shock as we performed closing ceremonies. Was this real? Pinch Me. After closing ceremonies we united with our chapters, our friends, our family, everyone that had supported us. We finished saying our goodbyes and then we cleaned up the convention center and headed back to the office. We walked in and our names were already up on the board in front of the office, what a feeling that was. It was there that we had the best meal ever, a happy meal from McDonalds. Okay, maybe thats an exaggeration, but at the time, everything was amazing to us. We finished that up and then we talked about what the year would hold, and what would be expected of us. Later that night we went to dinner at the Capitol City Club in downtown Raleigh, with State Staff, Regional Coordinators and their families. We also got to visit with representatives from Farm Bureau who sponsored our meal. It was a wonderful night of laughter and good conversation, but the best moment was when the sun started to fade. You could see the whole city from the top, it was beautiful. In that moment we could not have been happier. We went back to the hotel, it had been an overwhelming day. We all went to sleep with our jackets visible, so when we woke up the next morning we could see it wasnt just a dream, it was now our reality. We have one year to serve the 18,335 + North Carolina FFA members, and we can't wait.
 
Caroline Tart, State FFA Vice President
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment